Getting Started

Girl cannot issue L and P licenses, Girl can commence instructing after the rider is issued with their L’s.

How old do I have to be to get a learners licence?

If you do decide to go for it, you need to be at least 16 years and nine months old before you can be issued with a learner licence. However, you can attend the pre-learner course from the age of 16 years and six months.

Motorcycle Graduated Licensing System (GLS) at a glance

Detailed below is how new riders will progress through the licensing scheme:

  • Pre-learner training 7 hours over 2 sessions.
  • Rider Knowledge Test.
  • Learner rider licence (hold for a minimum 3 months, and valid for 12 months).
  • Pre-provisional training, 6-hour course.
  • Motorcycle riding test.
  • Provisional (P1) rider licence (hold for a minimum 12 months, and valid for 18 months)
  • Provisional (P2) rider licence (hold for a minimum of 24 months, and valid for 30 months).

Full licence (issued for 1 year, 3 years, 5 years or 10 years for eligible customers aged 21 to 44 years old).

What is my next step?

Going for your learner rider license involves passing a two-day pre-learner course and rider knowledge test, before you can experience riding on the open road.

How do I book a Pre-learner course?

You can book into the two day pre-learner course online, at any registry or service centre or by calling 13 22 13 (you’ll need a credit card if you book online or over the phone). There is a fee – check the cost when you book.

You need to attend the two-day course – 3.5 hours on each day. Motorcycle, helmets, gloves and tuition are provided at the centre.

Plan to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you arrive after the start time, you won’t be allowed to join in and you’ll forfeit your hard-earned dollars.

What should I wear to the Pre learner’s course?

  1. Jeans or leather pants
  2. A sturdy pair of shoes like boots
  3. A long sleeved denim or leather shirt or jacket
  4. A pair of sunglasses.

You will also need to bring along the receipt you received when you booked, as well as personal ID like a passport, birth certificate, driver licence or NSW Photo Card.

What if I fail my L’s?

Take the opportunity to find out from the instructor where you failed. Re book and pay the fee for another test.

What is my next step to get my L’s?

Once you’ve passed you will receive a pre-learner Certificate of Competence – this certificate enables you to take the rider knowledge test at a registry or service centre to get your Ls.

Your certificate is only valid for three months so don’t let it lapse or its back to do the L’s all over again.

You must take the following with you:

  • Pre-learner Certificate of Competence.
  • Proof of identity documents.
  • A completed learner licence application form (you can do this at the motor registry

To obtain your learner rider licence you must:

  • Pass an eyesight test
  • Pass the rider knowledge test and don’t forget the license fee!

If you fail the rider knowledge test you’ll need to pay the knowledge test fee again every time you take the test.

The rider knowledge test is based on the Road Users Handbook and the Motorcycle Rider’s Handbook. Study each of these thoroughly to ensure you pass!

What happens next?

You must hold a learner rider licence for a minimum of three months before you can progress into the next stages of the Motorcycle Graduated Licensing System (GLS). Once you have, the next step you need to take is to attend a pre-provisional training course. You can book this course at anytime after getting your Ls.

The pre-provisional training is a one-day course that goes for six hours. After successfully completing the course you will progress to the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST), which is a further one-hour skills test. When you pass both you will receive a Certificate of Competence. Take your Certificate of Competence to the registry or service centre to have your licence upgraded to P1.

You can upgrade to a P2 rider licence after a minimum of 12 months on a P1 rider licence.

After holding a P2 rider licence for a minimum of 24 months you can upgrade to a full rider licence.

What are the mature aged exemptions in the Graduated Licensing System (GLS)?

Riders over the age of 25 years may receive an exemption from the P2 phase if they:

  • Hold a current Australian unrestricted driver licence.
  • Have completed a minimum of 12 months on a P1 licence.
  • Meet all other licensing requirements.

Who is restricted to riding a learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM)?

All novice riders are restricted to a LAM while they hold a learner, P1 or P2 licence. Find out the restrictions.

How long is the P1 rider licence issued/valid for?

The P1 licence is valid for 18 months but may be upgraded to a P2 rider licence after a minimum of 12 months (not including any licence suspensions or cancellations).

How long is the P2 rider licence issued/valid for?

The P2 licence is valid for 30 months but may be upgraded to a full rider licence after a minimum of 24 months (not including any licence suspensions or cancellations).

Check out Roads and Maritime for additional information

Make an enquiry

Contact to take the next step!